Sunday, March 17, 2013

Mama made muslin swaddle blankets

Once I discovered I was expecting a little girl I just pictured fun girly colors for everything. I also knew I wanted to try to the cozy looking muslin swaddle blankets I saw everywhere. However I didn't want the price tag attached to 3 or 4 Aden and Anais swaddles. I decided to look into making my own. I found my inspiration here. Jake and I ran all over town looking for the muslin. Joanne's didn't have it, none at Hancock Fabrics, none at a little hometown fabric store in the Garland District. So I had to get online and research. I thankfully found a site that had the right fabric ( I was hoping so anyway!) and ordered up a bunch. I don't remember how much I ordered. But enough to make four swaddle blankets and have a little side piece left for some burp cloths.


Mind you I started all of this back in October. I got the fabric right before we left to Montana November 8th. Once we got back I was so inspired that I sat down, measured twice, cut once and was ready to go.

I finished 2 sides of the first blanket and then somehow it was forgotten. I went back to it 3 months later and was SO frustrated with my sewing machine. Once I figured out that Emery had played with the tension dial and I corrected that I was able to finish the one blanket and do 2 or 3 edges on the 2nd blanket. This took forever because I was having to fold it 1/4" an inch, pin, go back fold over another 1/4" and re pin before I could sew. Then I tried ironing it but was still pinning and then ironing. I was just  over how long it was taking. So it was set aside again. 

2 months later I finally got the motivation to just sit down and finish the damn things because she could come any day! I don't know what overcame me but I changed how I folded and ironed without pinning and whipped them all out in just a couple hours. WHEW!

Then it was onto dying them. I followed this tutorial for the most part. I wet the blanket down, put some salt into the bowl. I didn't measure it out as I wasn't doing a ton of cloth. The RIT site calls for 1 cup of salt but holy wow that is a lot for one thin little blanket.

I wanted the coral color from the first tutorial so I used a little tangerine and a little fuchsia. I wasn't sure if it was going to look how I wanted and looked way more pink during the process. Once I rinsed and washed it was perfect!

With the second one I decided I didn't like the color the teal produced on the RIT website so I just added a little bit and more water to water it down a bit. Oh I loved the turquoise!

The third blanket I just couldn't decide on. I slept on it and this morning I just decided to do some fuchsia with a tiny pinch of teal. It was looking way too pale of a purple so I added a tiny bit more teal and it turned out great. I think the purple is my favorite surprisingly.

I am over the moon with how the turned out. The fabric was perfect and looks so good with color. I cannot wait to snuggle her up in them. As you can see I practiced with Emery after I had finished edging the first blanket, he was an adorable little swaddle taco.

Now I'm anxious to see what else I can dye. I love watching the changes and just how pretty the colors are...bring on the clothes :)


No comments:

Post a Comment