Friday, February 15, 2013

Carbs, how I love thee..

Everyone knows I love my bread and pasta. Go out to dinner and you get bread served. Why yes I will eat 6 pieces through out the meal. Then I look back and wonder where the love handles and pooch managed to get there.

Fast forward to early this year when I was doing my personal training. I learned so much more about food that I never knew. Very grateful for that. Add in a kiddo who has to see a dietician and my knowledge has extremely helped us and hasn't made the process a hard transition at all.

I got a bread maker from a yard sale last spring and never had the chance to use it as I always used my grandma's if I wanted bread.

I've been dying to use and have homemade bread. I have never made my own bread using yeast and needing it. In Home Economics we made pretzels once. (yes I have a pin ready to go for that to make with the boys).

Add in a blog post from Becky How to make bread and I was done for. I love reading about how her yummy food she makes and jealous that she's such an adorable little homemaker. So I added it to my starred items and vowed to jump on it soon.

I got the bread machine out of the garage and got it all cleaned up and ready to go. However she linked to a post about Quick French Bread and I realized I didn't need to bread maker. I was going to give a go all on my own.

The recipe is as follows:


    2 1/2 Cups Warm Water
    2 T. Yeast
    2 T. Sugar
    1 t. Salt
    3 T. Oil
    5 1/2 -6 Cups Flour

First:  Add yeast and then sprinkle the sugar over the 2 1/2 cups of water.  Let it sit for about five minutes until you see the yeast get all bubbly on top.

Next:  Stir in the salt, oil, and flour.

Then:  Knead the dough for a few minutes until it is smooth and pulls away from the bowl.

Then cover your bowl with a warm wet towel and let the dough sit for about 15 minutes.(The author put in this **Update:  Tip - put a bowl of water in your microwave and turn your microwave on for two minutes.  Then take the bowl of water out and set your bowl of bread dough in the warm microwave for the 15 minutes.  This moist, warm envirmonment makes the bread rise a lot faster.) I however didn't do this step, I just remoistened my wet towel, set the oven at 170 degrees per the adorable Becky's instructions and let it go 10 minutes that way.










I pulled it out after 10 minutes, kneaded it on the counter for a few minutes, just to feel like I actually did something to make bread haha.





Next, divide the dough into two long loaves (rolling like a jelly roll and tucking in the ends). Place both loaves side by side on a greased cookie sheet. Then take a knife and slash the tops of each loaf diagonally. Allow the loaves to sit for a few minutes while you preheat your oven to 375. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.


pre-cooked



It seemed like it turned out all right. I used whole wheat flour so I don't know how or if that changes the outcome and if I needed to add more or less of anything. It was pretty dense but very soft. I have a long ways to go. I can't say how great it tastes due to being sick and stuffed up. But I can say it doesn't taste horrible. However I won't let Jake try it because he's so damn picky that I know he wouldn't like it. He rolled his eyes at me when I said I was going to make bread. I will try it again either way because I love fresh warm homemade bread. My sense of taste will hopefully be back by then so that I can accurately judge.

Either way, give it a shot and let me know what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment