Thursday, January 3, 2013

Spicy Grilled Chicken Teriyaki Sandwiches

I should have taken a picture but I was much too hungry. Maybe next time. Jake, the man who doesn't like any food unless he or his mom make's it said they were actually pretty good. THAT IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT! He mentioned a few things to try a little differently next time but other than that he liked it. Whew.

I had found a recipe on pinterest which I'm not even going to link to because we did things completely different. We didn't use ground chicken or follow the directions, basically just got the idea and went off a burger I have had at Red Robin's and Prospector's and love.

1 package of chicken tenderloins (from Costco)
Chili powder
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Sliced Provolone
Crustini Sandwich Rolls
Fresh Pineapple

We cleaned the pineapple and sliced it into slices. I removed the centers with a lid from an infant bottle because I don't have an apple corer and I didn't want to sit and cut out every center with a knife. Whatever works, call me crafty.

The chicken we brushed with olive oil and sprinkled the chili powder, garlic salt and onion powder onto both sides and grilled those.

Then we put mayo on our buns, a pineapple slice and then a couple chicken tenderloins which we melted the provolone onto. You can forgo the mayo but due to a kiddo who needs loads of fat and calories added into his diet to gain weight we had to.

I made a teriyaki sauce which you can find here for reviews, photos etc. The exact recipe is:

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 -2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

Directions:

1. Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4c water in a sauce pan and begin heating.
2. Mix cornstarch and 1/4c. cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan.
3. Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness.
4. Add water to thin if you over-thick it :).

I made the sauce exactly as the recipe called and it was really good. P.S. Don't let it boil over, its a mess to clean!

Overall the boys loved it, said it was GREAT and we all enjoyed the messy sticky food. I'll try to update with a picture the next time we have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment