Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Migraines = Death

Holy wow. I woke up yesterday with a migraine. Puked that morning from pain. Tylenol didn't help. My head was buzzing and I was nauseous so I took a Benadryl to make myself sleep and off to nap time Jake and I went. Slept from 11:45 to who even knows. 4 something. Thank goodness for Benadryl, it never fails to put me into the best sleep coma ever. I managed to make it to girls night for dinner and tried to keep drinking lots of water thinking maybe it was dehydration. Usually with a migraine I can take an ibuprofen and pass out and it'll be gone. Not this time. After we went to bed I woke up about 5 times during the night with a throbbing head. Woke up feeling the same this morning. Round 2 of puking. Went off to work and was standing in the back room when my head started spinning, I got REALLY flushed and nauseous, ears ringing and vision blurred. I sat down really quickly before I passed out. I was too nauseous to drink my coffee I got because sometimes caffeine can help. I finally called the doctor because I couldn't tolerate the pain much longer and I couldn't risk doing a haircut and passing out with shears in my hand. I'm definitely not looking to perform a C-Section on myself. No way jose. I called the doctor and they wanted to me to come in and check my blood pressure and the baby. I believe the blood pressure check was due to preclampsia. Signs of preclampsia are:
  • High blood pressure (hypertension) — 140/90 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or greater — documented on two occasions, at least six hours but no more than seven days apart
  • Excess protein in your urine (proteinuria)
  • Severe headaches
  • Changes in vision, including temporary loss of vision, blurred vision or light sensitivity
  • Upper abdominal pain, usually under your ribs on the right side
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Decreased urine output
  • Sudden weight gain, typically more than 2 pounds (.9 kilograms) a week
I happened to have the severe headaches, the nausea and vomiting, dizziness and the changes in vision. Thankfully my blood pressure was awesome like it usually is and the baby's heartbeat was 144. She said its just migraines and gave me two prescriptions. One has 3 things in it, one of them being caffeine. That's what I took when I got home and so far its helped as long as I don't get up for long or my head starts pounding. The 2nd is for nausea and to help me sleep.

We saw Sara today who is Shelley's other half basically. She was SO nice. She wrote me a note for work and told me to go home and take a nap. Too bad I've had no nap yet because we went on an adventure trying to fill my prescriptions. We tried to go to Albertsons. She took my prescriptions and said 20 minutes. I go back 20 minutes later and they told me that since I'm on State Medical that I cannot pay out of pocket or they'll kick me off it and so I must go to a Group Health pharmacy and have it filled. First of all I'm not a broke ass, I just am a "single" mother and can't afford a birth with no insurance. I guess if the state wants to pay EVERYTHING then go right ahead. I just figured I'd pay for what I could so I'm not some mooch. I was so upset because that's just more driving and I wanted to lay down. I was already trying not to barf in the car and the sun was blazing in my corneas. I'm too short for the visors in the car to do me any good and my sunglasses just weren't dark enough. Damn you Steve Madden! I was moaning and groaning about the pain every 5 minutes. Poor Jake probably wanted to just drag me behind the car. Would have probably done us both some good but fortunately he tolerated me. I bet he was excited to be able to go to work ;)

I feel so much better now that I'm not ready to go lay in bed and die. We find out what the baby is in TWO weeks. TWO! My god it was 12 weeks at one point. We are so excited!

This medicine is finally working at making me sleepy and reading these blogs are making me sick to my stomach. Stupid vision getting messed up by this baby. It better be the sweetest, most healthy little fart in the world for all I've had to deal with. It could be much worse and I'm very grateful that this is all I've had to go through, but I'd really like to be able to enjoy the rest of my pregnancy. Here's to hopin!

3 comments:

  1. Don't mean to be preaching you in any way, but being in the nursing field, I hope you know NOT to take Ibuprofen while being pregnant since it could have drastic consequences to the little one. Just putting it out there! Glad you're feeling better though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh I should have been more clear. I USED to be able to do that. I most definitely take only tylenol now and only when I must. Thank you for the concern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! Just want to make sure your little jellybean is doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete